Formerly Business Accelerator: Taking Your Business to the Next Level.
Are you ready to take your event business to the next level? If you’ve taken the craft of event planning to new heights, and want your business growth to reflect that, you’re not alone. In this course we’ll discuss strategies on how successful companies, both inside and outside the event industry, manage to grow into larger versions of themselves. We’ll dissect what it is that keeps most business owners from getting their companies to break out of their plateaus and hit that next stage of growth.
- Identify and analyze different paths for growth, and the differing strategies each requires.
- Identify common roadblocks businesses face in our industry, and how successful firms have overcome them.
- Discuss the personnel implications of the growth paths available, how to get buy in, and what to look out for.
- Understand the options of raising your prices vs. growing through volume.
Scroll down to see more details including the weekly outline.
Start Date: TBD 2021
Length: 6 Weeks Online
Instructor & Content:
Course Cost: $595 USD
ELI Members Price: $476 USD*
Not yet an ELI member? Sign up today for only $25/month to gain access to over 180 on-demand video courses, interviews & more, plus save 20% on this and other multi-week professional development courses! CLICK HERE to learn more and sign up!
* Click “Register Now” to check availability and deadlines. Cannot be combined with any other offers.
With over 20 years of industry experience, Howard Givner is a widely recognized expert and innovator in the field of events, business growth strategy, technology and education. Howard is the Founder and Executive Director of the Event Leadership Institute (which launched in April 2011), provider of best-in-class training and education for the events industry, through online, on-demand video classes, interviews with industry leaders, white papers, webinars and live events.
He is the founder of Paint The Town Red, Inc., and the former CEO of North America for Global Events Group, the 13th largest event agency in the world, which acquired Paint The Town Red in 2008. During his tenure the company won over 30 industry awards. Howard is a Past President of the ILEA (International Live Events Association) NY Metro Chapter; has served on the board of directors of MPI (Meeting Professionals International) Greater NY Chapter as VP of Education; is a member of the BizBash NY Advisory Board; has served on the Advisory Board of Special Events Magazine; been a judge of the Gala Awards & HSMAI’s Adrian Awards. He is a frequent speaker at industry conferences on a wide range of topics. He has been profiled in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNBC, National Public Radio, ABC News, The Apprentice, and USA Today, in addition to numerous trade media.
Howard is a consultant to companies in the hospitality, meetings and event industry, specializing in strategic planning, sales growth, management, and mergers & acquisitions, and selectively consults with business owners on a limited number of engagements.
Please note: While course content and videos have been developed and delivered by industry expert Howard Givner, learners will not have access to Howard directly. This course is facilitated by industry leading instructor Kelli McCrea, Ed.D who guides and supports learners throughout the course, answers questions, provides feedback on assignments, grades quizzes and exams.
Dr. Kelli McCrea teaches event management, event planning and operation, customer service, and management of recreation, hospitality, and parks at California State University, Chico. In addition to teaching, Kelli also serves as the Department Assessment Coordinator, Accreditation Co-Coordinator, and student club advisor. Kelli lives in Napa Valley, California, and frequently does events on the weekends.
- Hiding in your comfort zone
- Thinking like an investor
- Finding accountability
- Shifting your time
- Understanding ‘comparative advantage’
- Allocating resources to drive growth
- Re-evaluating your ideal client and services offered
- Do you have the right personnel in place?
- Selling greater value
- Building your profile: TV, books, & media exposure
- The value of presentation
- The importance of saying no
- Dealing with a more informed client
- Which scenarios work best for this model
- The importance of systems & procedures
- Guarding against employees stealing your clients
- When to do it
- Insuring new business lines complement, not cannibalize, your core business
- Market positioning
- How to pivot your brand perception
- Overcoming legacy systems holding you back
- Addition by subtraction
- Learning from setbacks
- What your business can learn from Apple, JetBlue, Ritz Carlton & other great brands
- Empowering criticism
- Encouraging innovation in your staff
- Challenging vendors to raise the bar
- Accountability & aligning incentives
- Happy client vs. successful event
- Thought leadership
- Process leadership
- Relationship leadership
- Dealing with difficult clients
- Handling complaints
- Toxic employees
How does the course work?
Participants will log into our private Learning Management System, where each week approximately 2 hours of new lesson content will be released. Lesson content will usually be in video format, broken into digestible chapters of approximately 5-10 minutes each, and may be supplemented with PDFs or links to external articles. The lessons may be viewed at any time once they are released, and you can complete the lesson videos at your own pace. Short quizzes and assignments may be given to help reinforce learning outcomes.
What if I’m busy one week and can’t get to the material?
At the end of this 6 week online course, we provide participants an additional four weeks to catch up if they were unavailable for any portion of the course (hey, we know planners are busy).
When/how can I contact the instructor during the course?
The instructor’s teaching assistant will be available to answer questions and provide feedback at set times each week. Outside of those hours, the instructor will make every effort to respond to emails within two business days. (Keep in mind our instructors are subject matter experts who are actively working on events.)
Tell me about your learning guarantee?
The Event Leadership Institute stands behind all of its content. If you feel you didn’t learn what you expected to in this course, just let us know within 30 days of the final lesson and we’ll give you a full refund.
The Event Leadership Institute stands behind all of its content. If you feel you didn’t learn what you expected to in this course, just let us know within 30 days of your last lesson and we’ll give you a full refund. Click here to view our refund policy and full terms & conditions.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch, or create an account